Sunday, January 8, 2012

Christmas 2011

We celebrated our first Christmas in the east in much the usual way.   Singing Christmas songs aloud in the car helped me to preserve a bit of the holiday mood, and of course, I was eager to bring out the few decorations I had shipped over here.  Fortunately, we were still able to enjoy my favorite holiday tradition, a beautiful advent tree given by my mother-in-law.  Each day in December, my children took turns opening ornaments to hang on a small table-top tree.  A Bible verse accompanied each gift, and over the course of the month, the Christmas story was told and remembered.   We also enjoyed the short Christmas program put on by Dalat, and it was sweet to watch Mark and Abigail sing praises with the other elementary school children.


I didn't mind the absence of commercialization surrounding the holidays that one experiences in America.  No TV ads flaunting products, no mailbox full of useless promotions.  Actually, walking the malls here in Penang was quite pleasant.  Arrayed with tasteful decorations and fancy trees, I was frequently wished "Merry Christmas" by strangers and was surprised to hear all kinds of Christmas songs playing.  Fresh-cut trees can actually be acquired here, if you're willing to pay an arm and a leg for them, but luckily, the owner of our condo left us with an artificial tree for our use.  It has been very nice to have, and much taller than any of our fresh evergreens from past years.  The biggest thing lacking, other than family, was cool weather.  A hot Christmas is just hard to reconcile.  I sure miss Texas at this time of year!

In early December, another expat wife hosted a fun cookie decorating party at her place, and below is a picture of Mark's creation, probably more icing than cookie! 


On the evening of the kid's last school day, we flew to Melbourne for a week-long holiday (deserving of its own post later!), but returned before Christmas to prepare.  How busy we were for those two days, filled with shopping, baking, wrapping, and laundry!  (Luckily, Santa had done most of the preparations early.)


Santa brought plenty of toys for the kids, but not much for the adults.  (Some of the things we want will have to wait until spring as they can't be acquired here.)  I just got what I really wanted anyways--travel!  That, and a few moments of peace and quiet when I can get it, and I haven't seen that for sale anywhere.  I'll settle for those hugs and smiles; they sure are good as gold!!  (Below is a picture of our beautiful, 9-year-old Christmas present, Abigail.)

No comments:

Post a Comment